Green Easter Salad
This is a very easy, tasty and satisfyingly munchy salad. It is a light, fresh and zingy accompaniment to your Easter lamb with the combination of mint and lemon in the mix. All the fresh produce is available from our organic farmers and we have any of the seeds and oils you may need. You can decide to play around with flavours for a twist such as toasted hazelnuts or caramelised walnuts or use their oils for the dressing if you prefer.
- I Bag organic mixed leaves
- Broccoli cut into florets
- 1-2 Avocados
- Mange tout
- Bean Sprouts/ sprouted alfalfa/ cress
- 150g Feta cheese crumbled
- Half – whole Cucumber sliced and diced
- Handful of ripped mint
- Handful of chopped parsley
- Maldon sea salt
- Fresh ground black peppercorns
- Half a lemon juice
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- Toasted 4 seed mix
- Cut broccoli into small florets and bring some water to boil. Once boiling put in florets and mange tout, turn down heat, blanch for 2 minutes then drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Mix lemon and oil in bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper. Toast seeds (or nuts) in pan on low heat until they being to pop slightly. Take off heat.
- Rinse and spin mixed leaves dry, mix blanched veg with leaves and all other ingredients, except seeds and feta, into large bowl. Dress with lemon and oil
- Add toasted seeds and crumbled feta and mix lightly reserving a few for the top.
Spelt & Red Peppers Salad
This is an alternative salad that is a little more substantial as a side grain to the meal. As it can still be quite cold too at this time of the year for those who feel the need for something a little more ‘warming’ and hearty. This dish is ideal. the spelt grain is still light and very easily digested full of healthy Vitamin B’s, immune boosting anthocynanins and flavonoids.
- 2 Red peppers
- 100g Whole spelt grain
- 10 Pitted black olives, quartered lengthways
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or thyme leaves)
- 3 Spring onions, thinly sliced
- 100g feta, broken into large chunks
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- ½ Tsp ground allspice
- ½ Tsp smoked paprika, plus extra
- ½ Garlic clove, crushed
- ½ Tsp crushed fine sea salt
- Put the spelt grain in a pot of boiling water and simmer until just tender. It will be soft to eat but with a bite. Strain, refresh and leave to dry.
- Meanwhile, prepare the peppers. Cut around the stalk of each pepper and lift it out with seeds attached. Put the peppers on an oven tray, place under a very hot grill and char until totally black on the outside. Remove from the oven and cover the tray with foil. Once cool enough to handle, peel the charred skin of the peppers. It will come off easily under a little running water. Slice the flesh into 1cm wide strips.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the spelt into a big serving bowl and add the peppers, olives, oregano, spring onion and most of the feta. Pour over the dressing and gently mix together. Taste, and add more salt if you like. To serve, pile up the salad on a plate or in a bowl, and finish with the remaining feta and a sprinkling of paprika.